Optional readings are indicated below. Student groups have the option to present one of the required readings for their assigned HRI topic. All students are expected to read the selected paper before class and prepare questions to invoke interesting conversation.
Robot Design and Anthromorphization
- Wang, Jianmin, Yujia Liu, Tianyang Yue, Chengji Wang, Jinjing Mao, Yuxi Wang, and Fang You. “Robot Transparency and Anthropomorphic Attribute Effects on Human–Robot Interactions.” Sensors 21, no. 17 (2021): 5722.
- Kubota, A., Peterson, E., Rajendren, V., Kress-Gazit, H., and Riek, L.D. (2020). “JESSIE: Synthesizing social robot behaviors for personalized neurorehabilitation and beyond.” In Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human Robot Interaction (HRI). [Acceptance rate: 23.6%].
- Sparrow, Robert. “Robotics has a race problem.” Science, Technology, & Human Values 45, no. 3 (2020): 538-560.
- Lee, Hee Rin, and Laurel D. Riek. “Reframing assistive robots to promote successful aging.” ACM Transactions on Human-Robot Interaction (THRI) 7, no. 1 (2018): 1-23.
- Taylor, A., Murakami, M., Kim, S., Chu, R., and Riek, L.D. (2022) Hospitals of the Future: Designing Interactive Robotic Systems for Resilient Emergency Departments. In Proc. of the ACM Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Work (CSCW).
- Chapter 4 of Human-Robot Interaction – Design (Optional)
Perception of people
- Dollár, Piotr, Christian Wojek, Bernt Schiele, and Pietro Perona. “Pedestrian detection: A benchmark.” In 2009 IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, pp. 304-311. IEEE, 2009.
- Luo, Wenhan, Junliang Xing, Anton Milan, Xiaoqin Zhang, Wei Liu, and Tae-Kyun Kim. “Multiple object tracking: A literature review.” Artificial Intelligence 293 (2021): 103448.
- Rich, Charles, Brett Ponsler, Aaron Holroyd, and Candace L. Sidner. “Recognizing engagement in human-robot interaction.” In 2010 5th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), pp. 375-382. IEEE, 2010.
- Taylor, A. and Riek, L.D. (2022) “REGROUP: A Robot-Centric Group Detection and Tracking System.” In Proceedings of the 17th Annual ACM/IEEE Conference on Human Robot Interaction (HRI).
Groups and Teams
- Nikolaidis, Stefanos, and Julie Shah. “Human-robot cross-training: computational formulation, modeling and evaluation of a human team training strategy.” In 2013 8th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), pp. 33-40. IEEE, 2013.
- Correia, Filipa, Samuel Mascarenhas, Rui Prada, Francisco S. Melo, and Ana Paiva. “Group-based emotions in teams of humans and robots.” In 2018 13th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), pp. 261-269. IEEE, 2018.
- Iqbal, Tariq, Samantha Rack, and Laurel D. Riek. “Movement coordination in human–robot teams: a dynamical systems approach.” IEEE Transactions on Robotics 32, no. 4 (2016): 909-919.
- Sebo, Sarah, Brett Stoll, Brian Scassellati, and Malte F. Jung. “Robots in groups and teams: a literature review.” Proceedings of the ACM on Human-Computer Interaction 4, no. CSCW2 (2020): 1-36. (Optional)
- Marynel Vázquez, Aaron Steinfeld, Scott E Hudson, and Jodi Forlizzi. Spatial and Other Social Engagement Cues in a Child-Robot Interaction: Effects of a Sidekick. In Proceedings of the 2014 ACM/IEEE international conference on Human-Robot Interaction
- Hüttenrauch, Helge, Kerstin Severinson Eklundh, Anders Green, and Elin A. Topp. “Investigating spatial relationships in human-robot interaction.” In 2006 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5052-5059. IEEE, 2006.
- Chapter 5 of Human-Robot Interaction – Spatial Interaction (Optional)
Emotion & Intent
- Chapter 8 of Human-Robot Interaction – An Introduction
- Tielman, Myrthe, Mark Neerincx, John-Jules Meyer, and Rosemarijn Looije. “Adaptive emotional expression in robot-child interaction.” In 2014 9th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), pp. 407-414. IEEE, 2014. (Optional)
- Szafir, Daniel, Bilge Mutlu, and Terrence Fong. “Communicating directionality in flying robots.” In 2015 10th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), pp. 19-26. IEEE, 2015. (Optional)
- Chapter 8 of Human-Robot Interaction – Emotion (Optional)
Social Signal Processing – Recognition & Synthesis
- Fiore, Stephen M., Travis J. Wiltshire, Emilio JC Lobato, Florian G. Jentsch, Wesley H. Huang, and Benjamin Axelrod. “Toward understanding social cues and signals in human–robot interaction: effects of robot gaze and proxemic behavior.” Frontiers in psychology 4 (2013): 859.
- Moosaei, Maryam, Cory J. Hayes, and Laurel D. Riek. “Performing facial expression synthesis on robot faces: A real-time software system.” In New Frontiers in Human-Robot Interaction, vol. 67. 2015.
- Admoni, Henny, Anca Dragan, Siddhartha S. Srinivasa, and Brian Scassellati. “Deliberate delays during robot-to-human handovers improve compliance with gaze communication.” In Proceedings of the 2014 ACM/IEEE international conference on Human-robot interaction, pp. 49-56. 2014.
- Taylor, Angelique, and Laurel D. Riek. “Robot perception of human groups in the real world: State of the art.” In 2016 AAAI Fall Symposium Series. 2016.
AR/VR for HRI
- Paul, Savannah, Christopher Reardon, Tom Williams, and Hao Zhang. “Designing augmented reality visualizations for synchronized and time-dominant human-robot teaming.” In Virtual, Augmented, and Mixed Reality (XR) Technology for Multi-Domain Operations, 2018.
- Williams, Tom, Leanne Hirshfield, Nhan Tran, Trevor Grant, and Nicholas Woodward. “Using augmented reality to better study human-robot interaction.” In International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, pp. 643-654. Springer, Cham, 2020.
- A Survey and Taxonomy for AR-enhanced Human-Robot Interaction and Robotic Interfaces. (Optional)